Date:      Mon, 24 May 1999 10:02:36 +0100
From:      nclayton@lehman.com
To:        Greg Black <gjb-freebsd@gba.oz.au>, Nik Clayton <nik@nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk>
Cc:        doc@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-translate@ngo.org.uk
Subject:   Re: FDP Directory Reorganisation

On Sun, May 23, 1999 at 12:31:58PM +1000, Greg Black wrote:
> [Re "articles" and "books":]
> > An alternative way of expressing this, without getting in to the SGML,
> > is that if it has more than one chapter then it's a book, otherwise it's
> > an article.
>
> This is a semantic distinction based on something that is
> utterly irrelevant to any /user/ of the documentation.

Agree.  100%.

> If the
> object of the documentation is to provide help to the users of
> the documentation, then the organisation needs to based on
> distinctions that make sense to those users.

Disagree.  Here's why.

The organisation *within the repository* is (or should be) of zero
interest to the end user of the documentation.  There's no reason why the
directory hierarchy within the repository, and the directory hierarchy of
the installed documentation should map to each other one to one.

Categorising things is a hard problem.  Take a look at
http://www.freebsddiary.com/freebsd/topics.htm for example.  Notice how
many entries are duplicated under different headings?  The IP Filter
and Firewall sections, for example.

I think trying to categorise based on content within the repository is
ultimately futile.  There will be cases where there is no clear category
for a document to go in.  So do you create a new category for this
document?  Lump it in a "misc" category with some other documents?  Misfile
it?

None of these are good solutions.

However, as I say above, I agree with you that a distinction based on
SGML element choices is of no interest to the end user.  Fortunately,
we don't need to make this distinction when we install the documentation.

There's no reason why the Makefile that installs each piece of documentation
can't have a ${CATEGORIES} variable (or some other appropriate name) that
lists the categories of documentation that this document falls into.

For example, something that lives in the books/printing directory might
have

    CATEGORIES= books sysadmin printing mswindows

in the Makefile, indicating that the formatted documentation should be
installed in to /usr/local/share/doc/FDP/{books,sysadmin,printing,mswindows}
directories because

  1.  It's a "book"

  2.  Printing is a "Sys Admin" topic.

  3.  Printing is deemed to be important enough to have it's own top level
      category as well.

  4.  It explains how Windows hosts can print to printers attached to
      FreeBSD boxes.

This gives the end-user much more freedom when it comes to finding the
documentation they need.

The installed docs can be copies, or links as necessary, but that's really
an implementation issue.  The actual categories to be used (or at least a
first cut at them) can be decided relatively easily on this list.  More
importantly, the list of categories can be easily expanded to accommodate
new documentation without any of the problems I outline above.

In the meantime, back in the repository, we still need to separate out the
manual pages from everything else.  The books/articles distinction is
completely mechanical (there's no discussion about whether something is a
book or an article, it's a simple decision) and makes it a little bit easier
for people writing new documentation to find example of a particular type of
documentation that they can crib from.

I'm happy with another distinction between the documentation sets, as
long as it can be applied mechanically (i.e., no wondering about which
category the documentation goes in to) and fits in with the existing man/
directory.

man/articles/books fits that.  There's a simple progression in the
documentation detail from left to right, and deciding which directory to
put the docs in is trivial.

doc/ or docs/ doesn't.  Manual pages are also "docs".

--+==[ Systems Administrator, Year 2000 Test Lab, Lehman Brothers, Inc. ]==+--
--+==[      1 Broadgate, London, EC2M 7HA     0171-601-0011 x5514       ]==+--
--+==[              Year 2000 Testing: It's about time. . .             ]==+--