Date:      Wed, 26 May 1999 16:42:20 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@narnia.plutotech.com>
To:        "Eric D. Fehr" <fehr@idirect.com>
Cc:        scsi@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Errors w/Quantum drives (LVD), Ultra2SCSI, 3.1 & 3.2

In article <Pine.BSF.4.10.9905261601550.60127-100000@proteus.idirect.com> you wrote:
> Has anyone else experienced ongoing hardware read errors with this
> configuration?
>
> We're getting it with four different drives (same model), 3 different SCSI
> cables (running at 80MB/second), 3 different motherboards (Gigabyte and
> ASUS, Adaptec 7890 controller), 3 different terminators (active), and it
> is really starting to annoy me:
>
> (da1:ahc0:0:1:0): READ(10). CDB: 28 0 1 b8 11 f 0 0 80 0
> (da1:ahc0:0:1:0): MEDIUM ERROR info:1b8117c csi:18,21,58,1d asc:11,0
> (da1:ahc0:0:1:0): Unrecovered read error sks:80,98

CAM is only reporting what the drive has told us.  This is not
a cable or termination or problem, but I suppose it could be a
drive firmware bug.  There's very little anyone but the device
can do about reading the physical media and that is what the
complaint is about.

Call Quantum tech support and give them the asc/ascq pair for the
error (11, 0) that the drive is reporting.  New devices should not
be constanly reporting read errors unless you have a heat or other
environment problem.

--
Justin