Date:      Sun, 30 May 1999 12:49:02 -0400
From:      Tim Vanderhoek <vanderh@ecf.utoronto.ca>
To:        blokey@indigo.ie
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: updating ports system

On Sun, May 30, 1999 at 02:30:36PM +0100, blokey@indigo.ie wrote:

> Is there any work being done with regards to the ports system?  Are people for
> example implementing a mechanism that lets you check if an older version of a
> package exists before installing a new one over it (for example sometimes I

This doesn't sound too hard at all.  Add an appropriate

.if make(install)

to the top of the _PORT_USE section of bsd.port.mk that checks to see
if the port is installed.  You already have the variable ${PKGBASE}
defined for you.  Use the pkg_info(1) command to see if the port is
installed (you could go grokking through PKG_DB_DIR yourself, too,
although that's perhaps a little less preferable).  If so, print a
message advising the user to delete the old one.

You might need to be careful about searching for the $PKGBASE "ref"
and accidentally finding "referree"...

Ideally, pkg_add(1) would be modified to include a similar warning.

This wouldn't be a very hard modification for someone just becoming
familiar with the system to make.

We'll be expecting patches in two weeks.  :-)

> deleted and one unusable port).  I know some ports actually do check for this
> kind of thing but surely it should be standardised.

They do!?!  Ugh.

--
This is my .signature which gets appended to the end of my messages.