Date:      Mon, 31 May 1999 12:15:14 -0700
From:      "J. Heinrich" <lists+freebsd-ports@y.ml.org>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Making egcs the default for building ports

Is there a way to make egcs the default compiler for building ports
on 3.1-RELEASE (e.g. CC=/usr/local/bin/gcc in a particular config
file)?  What other variables would need to be set (GXX, etc.)?

Is there a good argument against doing this?

I'm trying to build a KDE app that won't compile with the stock
gcc/g++ (2.7.2.1); it compiles successfully under the egcs-1.1.2
port but won't link, presumably because the KDE & Qt ports (libs)
were built earlier with gcc-2.7.2.  I'm looking for a way to force
all subsequent port builds to use the same compiler after rebuilding
KDE/Qt with egcs (besides adjusting $PATH).

--
jh