Date:      Wed, 02 Jun 1999 20:41:36 -0400
From:      Daniel McRobb <dwm@caida.org>
To:        Scott Donovan <scottd@telstra.net>
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: wmtune patch and xmradio

> Hi guys,
>
>  Just pulled down wmtune (patched and xmradio). Both compile ok.. Find the
> tuner device ok. And even give sound. But niether of them tune properly. By
> this I mean some frequencies both peices of code simply refuse to use :-)
>
> Eg config 100.9 Mhz
>    it will only show 100.3 and wont tune past 100.45
>
> This is very odd.. Given that both apps use this, could this be a
> /dev/tuner issue. I am currently running a slightly modified bt848 driver
> (included each country freq sets). Other than that it is standard 3.1
> release driver.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Oh for the time to finish the v4l port to bt848 on freebsd :-( arrrg..

When I toyed with xmradio, I found that it worked fine up until I
decided to run fxtv.  After that, if I ran xmradio again (after exiting
from fxtv, of course), I had the same problem you have.  I seme to
remember that what happens is that the driver returns an error for the
ioctl to change frequency, indicating the frequency is out of range.
And for those frequencies where it didn't return an error, it was
actually tuning to the wrong frequency (I don't remember how far off it
was, I think roughly 5.6 MHz).  I never got a chance to dig into things
and figure out what state the driver and card were in to cause this to
happen.

Daniel
~~~~~~