Date:      Sun, 6 Jun 1999 10:38:13 +0100
From:      Mark Ovens <markov@globalnet.co.uk>
To:        Steve Howe <steve.howe@lhowe.freeserve.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Ex-buffoon seeks ATAPI CDROM advice

On Sat, Jun 05, 1999 at 06:24:19PM +0100, Steve Howe wrote:
> Hi,
>
>   first thanks to Oscar, Mark, Chris, Woody & Doug for the
> useful advice last time I mailed this group. I eventually
> successfully installed FreeBSD from a DOS (spit) partition.
>
>   I am now able to do some unixy things. Hoorah!
>
>   But now I want to get my hands on the ports residing on the
> CDROMs.
>
>   I am still having trouble getting the kernel to recognise
> my CDROM though.
>
>  As Doug pointed out last time round an ATAPI IDE CDROM,
> while not supported in the novice installation,
> is referenced in the GENERIC kernel.
>
>   So in the MYKERNEL version (which I have now succesfully
> built and installed 6 times!) I have uncommented-out the:
>
>   options     ATAPI
>   options     ATAPI_STATIC
>   device         wcd0
>
> entries, while leaving, as advised on the web site, the
>
>   controller     wdc1
>   disk             wd2
>   disk             wd3
>
> options which actually point at the relevant controller.
>
> At boot-up time however the kernel seems to make no attempt
> to resolve the wcd0 device I've told it to in MYKERNEL, and
> consequently I am not able to mount it after I've logged in.

You need to include the boot messages in your mail. Type ``dmesg''
at the prompt and include the output in your mail, then we will
have a clue as to what is happening :-)

> I had a search round the website and found one link which seemed
> to suggest that the ATAPI interface was experimental and should be
> regarded as alpha. So is this a problem in 2.2.8?

Uh, it was back in the 2.1 days, in 2.2.8 it is stable although
IDE/ATAPI seems to be one of those variable standards (some devices
are more standard than others). There are cases where one make of
IDE disk won't run as slave to another make. With CD-ROMs it is
sometimes the case that they won't work when slaved to a HD, or
are the slave when there is no master on the same channel.