Date:      Sun, 6 Jun 1999 12:55:17 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Igor Roshchin <igor@physics.uiuc.edu>
To:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Q.: any new ftp vulnerabilities ?

Hello!

I have observed a few occasions when some people were establishing
multiple connections to the ftp server within the last week (there is no
anonymous access, so it should not be "by mistake").
Usually, the logs do not indicate any attempt of login, even
as anonymous. The frequency of connects (reported by tcpwrapper) is not too
high, but probably indicated that those are launched by a script
(about 25-35 connections within 2-5 minutes).

I haven't seen any new security hole or DOS vulnerability in any ftpd recently
(except the one found in February or so, regarding the realpath,
and some similar issues, but that hole would not require multiple
connects), so I wonder if anybody has observed anything similar,
and if anybody knows of any new vulnerability ?

IgoR

PS. The machine is running 2.2.7 and wu-ftpd-2.4.2v17.