Date:      Wed, 9 Jun 1999 23:14:47 -0500
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>
To:        Chad David <davidc@acns.ab.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Oracle OCI code on FreeBSD

In the last episode (Jun 09), Chad David said:
> I have managed to install Oracle 8.0.5 on FreeBSD 3.2-STABLE, and
> everything seems to be fine, but I am unable to run an OCI program
> that I am porting from Solaris.  I started out with unresolved
> symbols in libclntsh.so, and I "got rid" of them by relinking
> libclntsh.so against /usr/compat/linux/lib/libc.so.6.
>
> The OCI specific code is compiled into a shared object, and is loaded
> into my program via dlopen() / dlsym(), which leaves me wondering
> what happens when a Linux shared object is loaded into a FreeBSD
> process?  Is this possible (linking against linux/lib/libc.so.6) or
> am I completely out to lunch?  Has anybody managed to get an OCI
> program running on FreeBSD?

Won't work.  stdio is completely different from BSD<->Linux, so no
fread/fwrite calls will work, struct direct is different (scratch
opendir), ioctls are certainly different, errnos don't map the same,
signals are different, etc etc etc.

> When I run the program I get hit with SIGBUS as soon as the symbol in
> my shared object is called.  I am not really sure what other details
> would be helpful, but if anyone is at all interested in the I would
> be happy to supply more :).

Install the linux_devel port and resign yourself to building Linux
executables whenever you have to talk to Oracle.

	-Dan Nelson
	dnelson@emsphone.com