Date:      Sun, 13 Jun 1999 10:34:03 +0100
From:      Mark Ovens <markov@globalnet.co.uk>
To:        Tetsuya Watanabe <tetsuya1@prodigy.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Question re: FreeBSD3.2 from a Winodows user

On Sun, Jun 13, 1999 at 12:23:31AM -0700, Tetsuya Watanabe wrote:
> Hello,
>
> First, I apologize for using DOS terms such as primary partiton and "c:." I
> am a windows user. And, thank you in advance.
>
> My plan is to install FreeBSD form s DOS psrtition on an IDE bus. Most of
> the FreeBSD 3.2 Stable distribution was downloaded from cdrom.com to a
> nono-primary DOS partiton.  In the primary partition(c:), there is only
> ~90MB free space available. Must all the distribution files go to the
> primary partiton? Or, the files under "/bin" only need to go there?

bin is the minimum distribution required to get a working FreeBSD
system. Once you've got that far you will be able to mount the
"logical drives" in the extended partition (see below about slice
numbering) and then install the rest from the extended partition
(option 6 on the "Choose Installation Media" menu).

> If files under /bin directory only need to go to the primary partiton,
> that'll be nice because the size of these files amounts to approx. 24MB. Do
> I need to reformat the HDD so that all FreeBSD distribution files fit within
> the primary partition?

No.

> Also, the first partition (2.5GB) in the extended partition has been NTFS
> formatted. The next two partitions (2GB and 1.5GB) are both FAT16. I plan to
> install FreeBSD on the 1.5GB partiton.
>
> IDE 0/Master --> ibm 6.4GB ATA/33 HDD
>                             Primary partition/100MB/FAT16
>                             Extended partition/2500MB/NTFS
>                             Extended partition/2000MB/FAT16
>                             Extended partition/1500MB/FAT16 <-- FreeBSD is
> to be installed here.

The partition (slice) numbers for "logical drives" *always* start
at 5. So, for your disk, the numbers will be:

	Primary partition/100MB/FAT16     /dev/wd0s1
	Extended partition/2500MB/NTFS    /dev/wd0s5
	Extended partition/2000MB/FAT16   /dev/wd0s6
	Extended partition/1500MB/FAT16   /dev/wd0s7

Note, fdisk will show the extended partition itself as wd0s2 but
you won't be able to mount it (IIRC the error is "Incorrect
superblock).

HTH