Date:      Sun, 20 Jun 1999 14:32:15 +1000 (EST)
From:      John Birrell <jb@cimlogic.com.au>
To:        walter@fortean.com (Bruce Walter)
Cc:        jkh@zippy.cdrom.com, alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Anyone up for an exorcism?

Bruce Walter wrote:
> > > 1) Sliding the jumper over to failsafe mode and inserting an SRM complient
> > >    boot block diskette with the firmware update utility.  This actually
> > >    loads, displays the BIOS emulation message, then sits at the blue
> > >    SRM/ARC screen with no output.  Happens with both the SRM and the ARC
> >
> > You sure it's not just waiting for your interaction on the serial port? :-)
>
> That was my first thought...  I went through every serial cable here, and
> connected it to terminal software on several different machines.
> Null-modem cables, full-handshake, yadda yadda yadda.  Nothing was coming
> out of those ports.  I did find a webpage which states the pinout diagram
> on the Design Guide was wrong, so I even made a cable assuming the pinouts
> were right.
>
> (Heavy Sigh)
>
> Other than that, the board has run (blech) linux flawlessly.

If you have a video card installed, pull it out (just in case).
Unplug the keyboard before powering up. Use a standard (i.e. PC serial
wobbly-dangly-bit) serial connector. Set the failsafe mode jumper and
try the SRM boot disk again. It should work. I remember that I had
a few problems when I first did this. I complained to DEC and they sent
a replacement board. It turned out to be pilot error on my part (due
to where the boot output was going, and me not waiting long enough,
or something like that).

I only ever saw ARC or SRM loaded, so, as always, YMMV.

--
John Birrell - jb@cimlogic.com.au; jb@freebsd.org http://www.cimlogic.com.au/
CIMlogic Pty Ltd, GPO Box 117A, Melbourne Vic 3001, Australia +61 418 353 137