Date:      Sun, 20 Jun 1999 16:13:27 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        jgrosch@MooseRiver.com
Cc:        Kevin Lo <kevlo@hello.com.tw>, Brett Taylor <brett@peloton.physics.montana.edu>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD books (was: Amusing: LinuxCountry site runs on FreeBSD :))

On Thursday, 17 June 1999 at 10:15:33 -0700, Josef Grosch wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 18, 1999 at 12:56:20AM +0800, Kevin Lo wrote:
>> Greg Lehey wrote:

> [ DELETED ]

>>> This isn't the book we were talking about a year ago.  I did a search
>>> for "FreeBSD" on the O'Reilly web site, and this is all I found (at
>>> http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/prkunix/author.html):
>>>
>>>   Prior to joining O'Reilly & Associates as UNIX system administrator,
>>>   Nathan Patwardhan was a software developer and system administrator
>>>   for Banta Integrated Media in Cambridge, MA. When not hacking Perl
>>>   or advocating FreeBSD and Linux to his friends, coworkers,
>>>   relatives, and other folks who don't know UNIX from Munich, Nathan
>>>   is an avid music collector.
>>>
>>> The reference was to a Perl book.  Maybe you could post your URL.
>>
>> Well, I sent Ben(who is a manager in O'Reilly publisher in Taiwan)
>> an email to confirm this news. He said this book will be publish on July,
>> but it's a Chinese version ONLY.
>

> ARRRRGGG! What is it with Tim O'Reilly and FreeBSD? China and Taiwan is not
> a very large market for us.

Yet.  In fact, China is one of the most UNIX-oriented countries
around.  That's why I spend so much time there.  Wait a few years and
it could easily overtake Japan.

> Japan is a _HUGE_ market for FreeBSD, so why is O'Reilly bring out a
> Chinese language version instead of a Japanese or English version.

Nonetheless, it does sound strange to me.

> If this is correct, this makes little sense. We, the FreeBSD
> community, need to bring out our own version of "FreeBSD in a
> nutshell". Of course, we can't use that title.

Yes, that's one of the things I've been thinking of doing.  How about
"The essence of FreeBSD"?  Or "The essential FreeBSD"?

Greg