Date:      Sun, 20 Jun 1999 10:27:34 -0700
From:      Greg Shenaut <greg@bogslab.ucdavis.edu>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD books (was: Amusing: LinuxCountry site runs on FreeBSD :))

In message <19990620161327.G6820@freebie.lemis.com>, Greg Lehey cleopede:
>> If this is correct, this makes little sense. We, the FreeBSD
>> community, need to bring out our own version of "FreeBSD in a
>> nutshell". Of course, we can't use that title.
>
>Yes, that's one of the things I've been thinking of doing.  How about
>"The essence of FreeBSD"?  Or "The essential FreeBSD"?

I use the O'Reilly "UNIX in a nutshell: a desktop quick reference
for Berkeley" all the time with FreeBSD, and it is usually fairly
adequate; it's not clear to me that writing a new, fbsd-specific
version would be all that helpful.

What would really be of value, I think, is something on the order
of "A Free UNIX Reference", and it should emphasize the similarities
while dealing with the differences of current Linux and *BSD systems.
Given the present trend toward Linux, this might be the best way
to put the attributes of *BSD before the maximum number of interested
readers.  It could also be really useful if you are reasonably
fluent in one flavor of free unix, but have a problem that would
be solved most efficiently by using another.  And IMHO it would be
at least as useful as any standard reference to a single one of
the target systems.

-Greg Shenaut