Date:      Sun, 20 Jun 1999 22:39:23 -0700
From:      Andrew Perkins <andrew@violet.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   change root device with /boot/loader

Hello everyone,

After searching for the answer to this question, I have noticed
that other folks are having the same sort of problem, and no answer
has been posted.

1. Intro
FreeBSD 3.x (3.2-RELEASE in my case) uses a new 'third stage' boot
loader to augment the limited feature set of the 'second stage'
boot loader that many 2.2.x users are familiar with.

2. Problem
When FreeBSD is installed on the secondary IDE master drive, it
becomes necessary to explicitly specify an alternate root device.
This can be accomplished by telling the 'second stage' boot loader
where to boot from: (i.e. 0:wd(x,a)kernel in /boot.config, where
'x' is the drive number).  However, if one wishes to use some
features of the 'third stage' boot loader, setting rootdev may
not give the desired result as 'lsdev' in '/boot/loader' prints
something like:

A: disk0
C: disk1
... freebsd partitions here ...
D: disk2

when in reality, the BIOS boot order is set to 'D,A' and the
FreeBSD partitions should be located under disk2 (where they
really do exist, and where the kernel will look for them once
loaded.)

3. Question
How does one set the secondary IDE master drive as the root
device using /boot/loader.conf or related files?

4. Closing
If anyone feels the need for further clarification of this
issue, feel free to ask.  Just so this one doesn't pop up,
I have an ASUS P2B with Award BIOS.

Cordially,