Date:      Sat, 26 Jun 1999 15:32:40 -0600
From:      lyndon@orthanc.ab.ca
To:        Frode Vatvedt Fjeld <frodef@acm.org>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: bt848 channel frequencies

> > Also, the datatype for 'frequency' should be wide enough for
> > satellite and long-wave work, from few kHz to tens of GHz.
>
> I believe your typical "long" scales to 4.2 GHz if the unit is a
> single Hz. Does anyone know of tuning applications that would require
> a granularity smaller than one KHz? What about the different radio
> bands, for example?

For many applications on HF you need to tune with at least 0.1 Hz resolution.
For precision applications I would want to be able to resolve to 0.001 Hz or
better. Too much resolution in the API is better than not enough.

> Or would it be better to use a 64-bit type to represent frequencies?
> Then we could go from uHz to GHz without problems.. :-)

Why not hide the implementation in the library and just pass the frequency (in around as an ASCII string? E.g.

int tuner_set_freq(TUNER *t, char *freq);
	.
	.
	.
  rc = tuner_set_freq(t, "14313000.155"); /* rc = 0 */
  rc = tuner_set_freq(t, "740000");	/* rc = -1, errno = ERANGE (tuner
					   doesn't tune that low) */
  rc = tuner_set_freq(t, NULL);		/* rc = -1, errno = EFAULT */

Frequency strings are in Hz. If no '.nnn' appended assume '.0'.

--lyndon