Date:      Sat, 26 Jun 1999 16:21:09 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Ben Rosengart <ben@skunk.org>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Out of file descriptors ??

> On Fri, 25 Jun 1999, Scot W. Hetzel wrote:
>
> > What is happening is /etc/defaults/rc.conf pulls in /etc/rc.conf, which then
> > pulls in /etc/rc.conf .... repeat until we run out of file descriptors.
>
> I am not fond of the new defaults/rc.conf system.  Used to be when I
> wanted to modify something in rc.conf, I opened it up and changed the
> value.  Now I have to extract a line from defaults/rc.conf, put it in
> rc.conf, and change it -- unless I don't understand the new setup
> correctly.  That makes more work for me, not less.  What's the idea
> here?

Separation between the default initialisation values for parameters,
and the actual values of parameters that specifically apply to your
system.

With only one file, you have no way of adding new (default) parameter
values without forcing the user to manually merge the two.

The minor extra amount of work in the short term is greatly offset in
the long term.  Try merging your local changes from a 2.2.x rc.conf
with a new 3.x vintage rc.conf to see what I mean.

--
\\  The mind's the standard       \\  Mike Smith
\\  of the man.                   \\  msmith@freebsd.org