Date:      Tue, 29 Jun 1999 09:37:26 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@plutotech.com>
To:        chris@thedial.com (Christopher Taylor)
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CMD 5440 Problems

Christopher Taylor wrote...
> I installed a CMD 5440 with an Adaptec 2940 on FreeBSD 3.2 about four
> days ago. I followed the instructions on
>
> http://bsd.phoenix.az.us/raid/
>
> for setting up my controller and it went smoothly. However, I started
> noticing file system errors on the RAID box, such as the following...
>
> ** Phase 5 - Check Cyl groups
> FREE BLK COUNT(S) WRONG IN SUPERBLK
> SALVAGE? [yn] y
>
> and...
>
> ** Phase 4 - Check Reference Counts
> UNREF FILE I=35859  OWNER=root MODE=100644
> SIZE=0 MTIME=Jun 28 18:02 1999
> CLEAR? [yn] y
>
> ** Phase 5 - Check Cyl groups
> FREE BLK COUNT(S) WRONG IN SUPERBLK
> SALVAGE? [yn] y
>
> SUMMARY INFORMATION BAD
> SALVAGE? [yn] y
>
> BLK(S) MISSING IN BIT MAPS
> SALVAGE? [yn] y
>
> There were other errors that came up as well, but I don't currently have
> those available. But, the errors were bad enough to cause my OS to
> become unstable. My system rebooted twice before becoming unable to
> mount my /usr partition (all of my partitions are on the RAID).
> I spoke with CMD tech support and their latest guess is that the issue

You weren't by any chance fscking the filesystem while it was still
mounted, were you?  I noticed your other message in this list...

fsck does things without the knowledge of the filesystem code (because it
operates through the raw device) and thus can pull the rug out from under
the filesystem.

> is with the Adaptec controller. They said I should turn termination from
> 'Automatic' to 'Low on/High on'. I'm currently testing this to see if
> this fixes my problems
>
> In the mean time, I there anyone out there who can help me get this
> working. This is hindering an important project for my company and we
> are willing to pay consulting fees if need be to get this issue
> resolved.

In general, if you've got a SCSI problem, you'll get SCSI error messages of
one sort or another.

Adaptec's automatic termination option usually works, but setting it
manually won't hurt.

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry