Date:      Wed, 30 Jun 1999 01:15:32 -0700
From:      "David O'Brien" <obrien@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Bill Fumerola <billf@jade.chc-chimes.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: tcpdump(1) additions.

On Tue, Jun 29, 1999 at 06:54:06PM -0400, Bill Fumerola wrote:
> Unless there is strong feelings against it, I'd like to commit the smb
> patches (as seen on www.samba.org)

Cool!  I've been meaning to do this for quite some time.  HOWEVER, please
reference this PGP signed email (I'll send you the full copy) in the
commit message:

    Sender: tridge@samba.anu.edu.au
    From: Andrew Tridgell <tridge@samba.org>
    To: obrien@NUXI.com
    Subject: Re: tcpdump patches copyright
    Date:   Thu, 7 Jan 1999 10:47:03 +1100

    yes, you are welcome to use those files under the tcpdump copyright.
    ..snip..

Note that the Tcpdump patches from www.samba.org are under the GPL.
Andrew Tridgell also warned:

    I should warn you though that there are some security issues with my
    tcpdump-smb patches. It is possible for a malicious user to put
    packets on the wire that will cause a buffer overflow in the SMB
    parser in that code. That could lead to a root exploit.

    I just haven't got around to fixing it yet.

--
-- David    (obrien@NUXI.com  -or-  obrien@FreeBSD.org)