Date:      Wed, 30 Jun 1999 08:41:28 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Jonathan Lemon <jlemon@americantv.com>
To:        ken@plutotech.com, scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD panics with Mylex DAC960SX

In article <local.mail.freebsd-scsi/199906292300.RAA29666@panzer.kdm.org> you write:
>Joe Greco wrote...
>>
>> da1: <MYLEX DAC960SX138928B5 4332> Fixed Direct Access SCSI-2 device
>> da1: 40.0MB/s transfers (20.0MHz, offset 16, 16bit), Tagged Queueing Enabled
>> da1: A
>
>That should probably read "Attempt to query device size failed ...."
>
>You may be losing characters over the serial console or something.
>
>> If I can provide further information to assist in tracking down this bug,
>> please let me know.
>
>My first guess is that it's happening during the open() routine, for some
>reason.  That's why fsck seems to cause the problem.
>
>You're probably right about the device returning a size of zero.  It isn't
>immediately clear to me why the open routine would cause a panic, *unless*
>the Mylex unit returns good status for the read capacity command, but
>returns a capacity of 0.

I have a situation that sounds similar to this, with similar results.
In my case, I have a mostly-bad SCSI disk that doesn't work until it is
sufficiently warmed up.  When booting, one of the SCSI commands sent to
the drive (mode sense, I think) fails, and the kernel panics.

Basically, the SCSI bus recognizes some thing is there, but can't even
read the vendor string from the disk.  "Device connected, but has a fault."

--
Jonathan