Date:      Sun, 4 Jul 1999 11:52:15 -0500
From:      "G. Adam Stanislav" <adam@whizkidtech.net>
To:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
Cc:        "Brian F. Feldman" <green@unixhelp.org>, Janie Dykes <jkn33@pangeatech.com>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: how to start to be a hacker?

[Moved to chat from hackers]

On Sun, Jul 04, 1999 at 01:12:41AM -0600, Wes Peters wrote:
> "G. Adam Stanislav" wrote:
> >
> > On Sat, Jul 03, 1999 at 06:11:08PM -0600, Wes Peters wrote:
> > > Trust me, greenie, those of us who a FAR from 16 wish we weren't.  ;^)
> >
> > What, and miss the sixties??? Get back to your handbasket! :-)
>
> Our experiences of the sixties were probably different.

No doubt about that. I spent mine in Czechoslovakia, a country that was trying
to replace Stalinism with democracy, just to be crushed by the August 21, 1968,
invasion and the subsequent restoration of hardcore Communism.

When I say I would not want to miss the sixties, I am not talking wearing
flowers, using LSD, or going to Woodstock. I did none of that (for that
matter, I did not hear about Woodstock until the eighties).

The reasons I am glad I experienced the sixties are not because of what
happened or did not happen to me personally. No, what I like about it is
that I personally lived through a period when for the first time in
recorded history mankind as a whole realized that things can be different.
That we do not have to do everything exactly the same way our parents did,
and their parents did, and so on for millenia.

There of course always were changes from generation to generation. But they
were small. And they were not global. In the sixties changes were radical,
and they sweapt the whole planet. Not all of the changes were
necessarily for the better (as both your and my personal experience show).

The point I am trying to make is that more changes happened, and on a larger
scale, within that one decade than ever before in human history, or ever
since (by now, anyway). And that is why I would not trade the experience
of having lived through that decade for youth or for anything else.

Adam