Date:      Sun, 04 Jul 1999 23:04:01 -0400
From:      W Gerald Hicks <wghicks@bellsouth.net>
To:        "G. Adam Stanislav" <adam@whizkidtech.net>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: how to start to be a hacker?

  Wes Peters wrote:
[snips]
> We spent 1970 at Fort Benning, Ga.  We went to the commissary every Thursday,
> and watched the fleet of chaplains cars coming and going, doing next of kin
> notification.  That (and the space program) are what the sixties mean to me.
                           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
That was the big one for me, specifically the Apollo program.  To me it's
a shame that todays children don't seem to have anything to compare with
the heroes we had pitching for science.

Growing up in Mississippi during the sixties meant a few other things
to me too.  Although the repression we experienced under the racist state
government certainly does not compare to that in Czechoslavakia of 1968,
it did further motivate me to pursue science and technology if just to
escape the ignorance that prevailed there.

I wouldn't trade my experiences of that period, but I certainly would not
want to turn the clock back either.

Cheers,

Jerry Hicks
wghicks@bellsouth.net