Date:      Mon, 05 Jul 1999 13:25:34 +0800
From:      Stephen Hocking-Senior Programmer PGS Tensor Perth <shocking@prth.pgs.com>
To:        luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it
Cc:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Mods to snd drivers

I've finnaly moved from my old PAS16 (which I used under the Voxware drivers)
to a PnP CS4236 clone. This works fine (once I told the BIOS that I *didn't*
have a PnP OS). However, some niceties that I was used to under the Voxware
drivers are not there - to wit

a) Setting the queue size on DST_SETFRAGSIZE

b) DSP_{SET,GET}TRIGGER

c) Doing the mmap thing with an ioctl.

It's obvious which application the last two are for 8^). However, a) is useful
for dropping the latency for things like network telephones, which the
full-duplex nature of the card & drivers is otherwise suited to. I see that
you have the dma cycling around a 64k buffer. If we can't make the buffer
small that DMA cycles around, would it be possible to approach this by
changing the insertion point for writes?

	Stephen
--
  The views expressed above are not those of PGS Tensor.

    "We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce
     the Complete Works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know
     this is not true."            Robert Wilensky, University of California