Date:      Mon, 5 Jul 1999 20:12:57 -0500
From:      "G. Adam Stanislav" <adam@whizkidtech.net>
To:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@flood.ping.uio.no>
Cc:        W Gerald Hicks <wghicks@bellsouth.net>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: how to start to be a hacker?

On Mon, Jul 05, 1999 at 11:14:16AM +0200, Dag-Erling Smorgrav wrote:
> "G. Adam Stanislav" <adam@whizkidtech.net> writes:
> > Yes. I remember in my early teens fantasizing about marrying Gagarin's
> > youngest daughter. :-) [For the sake of the younger generation here:
> > Gagarin was the first man in space.]
>
> Come on, give the younger generation *some* credit.

It was by no means meant to imply the younger generation does not deserve
creadit.

If memory serves me right, Gagarin's historic flight took places 38 years ago.
That means there are adults among us whose parents weren't born yet.

Gagarin's flight was also a source of major embarassment to the US government
of the time.

I have been in the US for about 16 years now, and I do not recall people
mentioning Gagarin's name. So it seems reasonable that at least some members
of the younger generation would not know who Gagarin was, and certainly *not*
because of their own fault.

If this offended you, I apologize, and I assure you that was not my intention.

For what it's worth, I do not judge people based on their age. Every age has
its advantages and disadvantages, and I have enjoyed myself in every age I
lived so far (49 years, for the record). I also treat people of any age as my
equal, both on the net and in the physical world, because we indeed are all
equal.

Now for extra credit: What was Gagarin's military rank at the time of his
flight? :-)

Adam