Date:      Mon, 5 Jul 1999 23:47:32 +0100
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk>
To:        John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
Cc:        Nik Clayton <nik@nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk>, doc@freebsd.org, freebsd-translate@ngo.org.uk
Subject:   Re: Resolution: FDP reorganisation

On Sun, Jul 04, 1999 at 03:59:58PM -0700, John Polstra wrote:
> Nik Clayton wrote:
> > So, here are my notes on what I did, accompanied by a small shell script
> > that recreates the actions I did.
> >
> > To use it, make sure you have the doc/ repository in /home/ncvs/doc, and
> > plenty of spare room in /var/tmp/.  A /var/tmp/FDP directory will be
> > created, and all the work is carried out in there.
>
> OK, I've run the script and what comes out looks fine to me in terms
> of CVS repository issues (modulo the tags, which are a job for my own
> shell script).

I'm not convinced you need to do anything with the tags, at least not
for the Japanese documentation.

Normally, we use tags to indicate the boundary of a major change.  For
example, the RELENG_* tags reflect the state of the tree at a particular
release point.

I completely agree that these sort of tags should not be propogated to the
new files.  Fortunately, I don't think we have any of these sort of tags
in the doc/ tree.

However, with the Japanese documentation this is not the case.  The tags
there don't mean "This documentation was released with 3.1", but instead
mean "This documentation is now in sync with the English version that was
released at 3.1".  The two meanings are not the same.

In the repository copy we're not changing the content of the manual pages.
So the tags that indicate which revisions of the file correspond with the
revision of the file at the English release number should stay the same.

 [intentional self-reference] can be easily accommodated using a blessed,
 non-self-referential dummy head-node whose own object destructor severs
 the links.
    -- Tom Christiansen in <375143b5@cs.colorado.edu>