Date:      Tue, 06 Jul 1999 04:11:39 +0100
From:      Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
To:        "Leif Neland" <leifn@neland.dk>
Cc:        "FreeBSD Hackers" <hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Budget on user-ppp

> It could be nice with some sort of budget control in ppp.
> A few days ago I found out bb caused a dialup every 5 minutes.
> Today I found I had been online 27 hours uninterrupted.
> Some dialup-routers allows a setup of "max a connects/b minutes online over
> c hours".

Patches are always welcome ;-)

> Also, I know it is possible to have a longer and longer retry wait between
> unsuccessful calls, but this is (as far as I can see) not documented
> anywhere.
> (Except perhaps archives)

?  How about under ``set redial'' in the man page ?

         set redial secs[+inc[-max]][.next] [attempts]
             ppp can be instructed to attempt to redial attempts times.  If
             more than one phone number is specified (see ``set phone''
             above), a pause of next is taken before dialing each number.  A
             pause of secs is taken before starting at the first number again.
             A literal value of ``random'' may be used here in place of secs
             and next, causing a random delay of between 1 and 30 seconds.

             If inc is specified, its value is added onto secs each time ppp
             tries a new number.  secs will only be incremented at most maxinc
             times.  maxinc defaults to 10.

             Note, the secs delay will be effective, even after attempts has
             been exceeded, so an immediate manual dial may appear to have
             done nothing.  If an immediate dial is required, a ``!'' should
             immediately follow the ``open'' keyword.  See the ``open'' de-
             scription above for further details.

(Hmm, I'd better change maxinc -> max !)

--
Brian <brian@Awfulhak.org>                        <brian@FreeBSD.org>
      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;                   <brian@OpenBSD.org>