Date:      Tue, 6 Jul 1999 16:38:01 +0100
From:      Nik Clayton <nclayton@lehman.com>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@freebsd.org>, freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: please...

On Tue, Jun 29, 1999 at 02:46:21PM +0200, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> I've noticed that this bit of -core policy never made it into
> section 20 of the handbook, could one of you guys SGMLify it
> and add it please ?

I'm getting around to this now.  Where (exactly) do you want it?

Should it be a subsection of the "Contributed software" section, or do
you want it as a section in it's own right.

This is the difference between

    20. Source Tree Guidelines and Policies

          MAINTAINER on Makefiles
          Contributed Software
          Shared Libraries

(i.e., it doesn't appear in the index, because it's a sub-section) and

    20. Source Tree Guidelines and Policies

          MAINTAINER on Makefiles
          Contributed Software
          Encumbered Files
          Shared Libraries

(i.e., it appears at the same level as the other three).

Also, you wrote:

> Policy on encumbered files in the source tree
>
> -- PUBLIC SECTION --------------------------------------------------
>
> 1. Any file which is interpreted or executed by the system CPU(s)
>    and not in source format is encumbered.

<snip>

> 5. Encumbered files go in src/contrib or src/sys/contrib

<snip>

What's with the "PRIVATE SECTION"?  Was this a mistake, or do you want
the whole lot added?

--+==[ Systems Administrator, Year 2000 Test Lab, Lehman Brothers, Inc. ]==+--
--+==[      1 Broadgate, London, EC2M 7HA     0171-601-0011 x5514       ]==+--
--+==[              Year 2000 Testing: It's about time. . .             ]==+--