Date:      Wed, 7 Jul 1999 16:34:26 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mohit Aron <aron@cs.rice.edu>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   paper on improving webserver performance

Hi,
	I apologize if you've seen this posting earlier - it was posted to
freebsd-hackers list earlier because I didn't know about this list.

I recently wrote a paper entitled "TCP Implementation Enhancements for
Improving Webserver Performance". The abstract for the paper is attached
below. The paper can be downloaded from:

 http://cs-tr.cs.rice.edu:80/Dienst/UI/2.0/Describe/ncstrl.rice_cs/TR99-335/

I thought the FreeBSD folks who manage the TCP/IP code might be interested in
incorporating the proposals made in the paper in the FreeBSD code.

- Mohit Aron
  aron@cs.rice.edu

Abstract:

This paper studies the performance of BSD-based TCP implementations in
Web servers. We find that lack of scalability with respect to high TCP
connection rates reduces the throughput of Web servers by up to 25%
and imposes a memory overhead of up to 32 MB on the kernel.
We also find that insufficient accuracy in TCP's timers results in overly
conservative delays for retransmission timeouts, causing
poor response time, low network utilization and throughput loss. The paper
proposes enhancements to the TCP implementation that eliminate
these problems, without requiring changes to the protocol or the API.
We also find that conventional benchmark environments do not fully expose
certain significant performance aspects of TCP implementations and propose
techniques that allow these benchmarks to more accurately predict the
performance of real servers.