Date:      Wed, 7 Jul 1999 21:16:15 -0500
From:      "Mike Avery" <mavery@mail.otherwhen.com>
To:        Damien Tougas <dtougas@converging.net>, <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: HP T4000s Tape Drive problems

On 7 Jul 99, at 16:42, Damien Tougas wrote:

> >Two words - door stop.

> >Travan is evil and not to be trusted, no matter what the interface - or
> >what the dealer says.  If your dealer will take it back, trade it in.
> >Otherwise, sell it on ebay (if they're still up).  And either way, get a
> >nice DAT drive, or go to a surplus house and get a nice DLT at a good
> >price.

> Just curious what you aversion to Travan is?

I could give you a long explanation with half baked theory and
observations, but I'll make it short instead.  On a number of OS's,
on a number of hardware platforms, they haven't been reliable.

Data goes on, and doesn't come back.

I've called Seagate (who makes hard drives, many kinds of tape
drives (among them an excellent DAT drive), and used to make
backup software).  Their own software support staff hinted
strongly that DAT was better in critical environments than Travan.
The hint was that "critical" meant "environments where you expect
to recover the data from tape".

I've resolved backup problems in several shops by just ditching the
Travan drives.  These weren't the cheapos, they were the
"professional" NS-8 and NS-20 series drives.

One customer returned 8 drives to their vendor and got a full
refund - it seems they weren't the first customer who was
disgusted....

In the end, I am convinced that the fundamental drive and tape
design on Travan is not something I want to support.

Mike

Mike Avery                            MAvery@mail.otherwhen.com
                                          (409)-842-2942 (work)
                                                  ICQ: 16241692

* Spam is for lusers who can't get business any other way *

A Randomly Selected Thought For The Day From
'The Code of The West, A Cowboy's Guide to Life' by Texas Bix Bender
The wildest critters live in the city!