Date:      Fri, 09 Jul 1999 13:10:45 +0900
From:      Kazutaka YOKOTA <yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp>
To:        Randall Hopper <aa8vb@ipass.net>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org, yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp
Subject:   Re: Splash Background Color

>Is there a way to change the background (overscan) color used to display
>VESA splash pics?
>
>Those saturn splash screens look nice, but the overscan is fire engine read --
> most annoying.

Both the BMP file decoder (splash_bmp) and the PCX decoder
(splash_pcx) use the color palette 0 to clear the screen before
drawing the bitmap.  What you see as the background and border color is
whichever color happen to be set in the color palette 0 in the bitmap
file.

The problem comes from the fact that the W*ndows BMP file format and
the PCX format do not specify which color palette should be used as
the background color.  There is no way for the splash decoders to know
which background color would look great with the given bitmap.

Why palette 0? you may ask.  It's partly because of lazy programming :-)
and partly because of assumption that bitmap files tend to store
frequently used colors at the beginning of the color palette table
(this is even recommended for the BMP format by M*crosoft),
thus, it is likely that the palette 0 contains very, if not most,
frequently used color in the bitmap.  This frequently used color may
not be the best color for the background and border color, but won't
look very strange because it is, after all, very much used in the
bitmap.

Alternative approach would be that we search for "black" palette and use
that palette index number to fill the background.

As for options to specify the background color, you cannot specify the
background color by some options to the splash decoders.  AFAIK, there
is no way to pass option strings to the KLD module...

(Even if there is a way to pass options to the splash decoders, we
have to modify them further so that they search for an empty, unused
color palette entry to use...)

Kazu