Date:      Fri, 9 Jul 1999 12:13:21 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Gary Kline <kline@tera.com>
To:        bfulgham@xpsystems.com (Brent Fulgham)
Cc:        publisher@laptop.ompages.com, gkshenaut@ucdavis.edu, questions@FreeBSD.ORG, debian-devel@lists.debian.org
Subject:   Re: FreeLinux (Debian/GNU BSD)

According to Brent Fulgham:

	[[ ... ]]

> We did discuss doing a Debian BSD distribution, but we had
> some question as to whether there would be much interest
> in doing so, or in using it.  We also weren't sure what kind
> of response we would receive from the BSD community, and
> whether we would be seen as an abomination. ;-)

	By whom?:)  Most of us BSD'ers are not so
	narrow-minded ....   I'm an admitted hardcore
	unix bigot,  but that's the limit of my
	"religious-biases."

> The short-term plan was to create a BSD kernel module that
> could be used on a regular Debian system, perhaps using
> the BSD Linux-compatibility code.  Our distribution already
> spans two binary CD's for each ARCHITECTURE.  So, we would
> have a tremendous amount of additional space needed to
> host a completely-native BSD distribution as well.
>
> We did feel that FreeBSD would probably be the best distribution
> to base such a beast on.  We would probably be distributing it as
> Debian GNU/BSD, or perhaps Debian GNU/FreeBSD...

	Sounds like a win-win any way you look at it.
	When you've got a Core group of 5 or 10 going,
	write me (kline@thought.org) and I'll sign-on
	to your devel and ports lists.

	gary

--