Date:      Sat, 10 Jul 1999 05:28:20 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Ayan George <ayan@kiwi.datasys.net>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   utmp & last

Why do we store the utmp/wtmp and last logs in different data
structures?

What seems strange is that they use the different data types to
store the same information (the time):

	   struct lastlog {
		   time_t  ll_time;
		   char    ll_line[UT_LINESIZE];
		   char    ll_host[UT_HOSTSIZE];
	   };

	   struct utmp {
		   char    ut_line[UT_LINESIZE];
		   char    ut_name[UT_NAMESIZE];
		   char    ut_host[UT_HOSTSIZE];
		   long    ut_time;
	   };

Not that there is any _real_ difference between long and time_t,
but it would imagine we'd want to be as consistant as possable.

Anyhow, IMHO the umtp filestructure should be used to store the
last log.  At the same time, I'm sure there is a reason for
the way things are.  Could someone clue me in?

-Ayan