Date:      Thu, 22 Jul 1999 11:04:08 +1000 (EST)
From:      "Michael Henry" <mhenry@hons.cs.usyd.edu.au>
To:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: First time for my own PC hardware

> Got everything home, and found that "ATX" apparently doesn't mean that
> an "ATX" motherboard will necessarily fit in an "ATX" chassis.  :-(

That doesn't sound right; I'd suspect that the case is not ATX.

>  And
> the motherboard seemed to be shy one jumper (for setting the voltage to
> the CPU core).

Hmmm. Asus is a pretty reputable brand. (And the P5A is a popular motherboard).

Take a look at http://www.asus.com.tw/Products/Motherboard/Pentium/P5a/jumper.html

>  And neither the motherboard nor the chassis had any
> screws for attaching one to the other.

That should have come with the case. Don't use screws, there are little
plastic things that you push through the holes in the chassis and some
"wings" come out and lock it in place. Then you push the motherboard down
on it (from the other side) and another set of "wings" locks it in place.

At least, that's how it was for me :)

> So I guess I get to take the chassis back, go to the place where I got
> the motherboard, get a chassis that fits, and get an extra jumper &
> some screws....
>
> If I'm able to get the box put together, and if everything works, I
> think the result should be a dramatic improvement over the 3/60.  :-}
> (Since she's currently using tvtwm, I know I can support that under
> FreeBSD, 'cause that's what I'm using as I type this.  Maybe I'll try
> one of the fancier desktops...

Noooooooooooo. Long live the simple window managers! (like twm, mwm).

Although I must admit I can't live without a virtual desktop now.
That's why we've got tvtwm, pmwm (on UnixWare), and fvwm (version 1 :) ).

> if I also get some additional memory for
> the box.  I'm currently using 32 MB on this desktop at work, so I
> thought that 64 MB for her machine should be reasonable.)

I've got 64Mb and I don't think it's ever swapped.

> I keep getting the impression that PC hardware is ... quirky (to put it
> nicely).

If you know where incompatabilities exist, you can usually avoid them without
too much trouble. The salespeople will do their damndest to give you flaky
hardware :)