Date:      Thu, 22 Jul 1999 10:13:06 +0900 (JST)
From:      hosokawa@itc.keio.ac.jp (HOSOKAWA Tatsumi)
To:        mike@smith.net.au
Cc:        imp@village.org, nate@mt.sri.com, mobile@FreeBSD.ORG, hosokawa@itc.keio.ac.jp
Subject:   Re: usr.sbin/pccard/pccardd change for "cardio" and "cardmem"

In article <199907220033.RAA02886@dingo.cdrom.com>
mike@smith.net.au writes:

>> And of course they should be
>>
>> 	config default sio any
>> 	cardio 8
>>
>> ie. "use the sio driver", not "be sio4".

I agree (but it needs patches for /dev/card?'s ioctl).

>> I think "cardio" is a bad
>> name for the keyword too; I would use the same keyword that's used for
>> specifying a fixed I/O address but use a notation signifying an
>> arbitrary multiple, eg.
>>
>> 	ioport %8

I also agree with it.  This seems better than "cardio".  Explicit I/O
location is only needed for hardwired driver code.

I'll rewrite my patch soon.

By the way, to be "arbitrary multiple" is not important in resource
allocation for PC-cards.  The size of I/O window is essential.

--
HOSOKAWA, Tatsumi
Assistant Manager