Date:      Sat, 24 Jul 1999 13:10:17 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
Cc:        Radu-Cristian FOTESCU <rfotescu@idsrom.com>, freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What to tell to Linux-centric people?!

On Friday, 23 July 1999 at 20:30:07 -0700, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
>> 1. Why Linux has bash as default and FreeBSD csh? They want "command
>> history" with ARROWS, not with "!".
>
> Because FreeBSD makes it so easy to add your own shell of choice from
> /usr/ports/shells.  Not everyone likes bash, you know, and for
> everyone saying "bash should be the default!" there's someone else
> going "NO!  Tcsh as the default or death!" or "zsh is the One True
> Shell you heathens!  Bash sucks!"
>
> It's better to just not get involved in that holy war and let people
> add whichever shell they want.

Well, I made a suggestion to you in private mail a couple of days ago
that we should add a post-install config option to do this sort of
thing.  When are you going to reply?

>> 2. Why Linux has "ls-color" by default and FreeBSD doesn't? [please excuse
>
> Again, some people think that a colorized ls is the worst idea since
> the two-digit year field and others love it.  For such people, we have
> not one but TWO color ls packages in /usr/ports.

But we don't tell newcomers how to get it.  This is one of the items I
mentioned in my mail message.  And yes, I agree with you, colour ls
looks terrible.

>> 4. Why _nobody_ is making a site like "http://www.linuxapps.com/" for the
>> *BSD system(s) in order to find easier apps?
>
> Because there's already a http://www.freebsd.org/ports :-)

That's inadequate for people coming from Linux.  We know roughly what
they want; why not take the needles out of the haystack?

For the rest of you: in my message to Jordan, I specifically mentioned
bash and colorls.  What other items might interest a Linuxhead?

Greg