Date:      Sat, 24 Jul 1999 17:52:34 -0400
From:      Tim Vanderhoek <vanderh@ecf.utoronto.ca>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
Cc:        Matt Jacob <mjacob@FreeBSD.org>, cvs-committers@FreeBSD.org, cvs-all@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/usr.bin/msgs msgs.1 msgs.c

On Sat, Jul 24, 1999 at 11:53:10AM -0600, Nate Williams wrote:
> >     usr.bin/msgs         msgs.1 msgs.c
> >   Log:
> >   Apply suggested patch- seems reasonable.
>
> And what does that patch do?  Asking the committer to go read the PR to
> figure out what was done is much more work than adding the synopsis in
> the commit message.

In general, I think the average FreeBSD committer has a better style
for writing commit messages than committers from other projects with
closed CVS repos or that are just learning what a source repo is.

Things a good commit message contains,

 1) summary of the change
 2) justification/reasoning
 3) list of side effects
 4) references (PRs, people, other commits, mail, etc).

I usually completely ignore all of this when committing to some
file of little import.  I always feel a little guilty for this,
though.

Don't list bugreports as "PR: 5323, 325, 532" since the reports #325
and #532 won't have hyperlinks added to them by cvsweb.

Try to making multiple changes in one commit when you should use
several.  Makes debugging easier, and makes it easier to pull patches
from the repo.

--
This is my .signature which gets appended to the end of my messages.