Date:      Wed, 28 Jul 1999 10:03:58 +1000
From:      Christopher Vance <christopher.vance@aurema.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   package update

One thing I love about FreeBSD is /usr/ports.  Excellent work!

One thing I dislike about ports (and packages) is the lack of a
command to update a package to a new version.

I'd love to be able to go to /usr/ports, and type "make update", have
it check what versions of ports/packages I have installed, and
selectively compile and install them.

Two things:

1) Determining out-of-date packages is not trivial - there are many
cases where directory names are not closely related to the installed
package name.  Even looking in the Makefiles doesn't give this
information up easily.  My perl script is not worth sharing :-(.

2) Even if you have determined a package to be out-of-date, and have
compiled it, it's still a royal pain to install these things.
I understand that just pkg_add'ing over an existing package is bad
form.  And if there are dependencies (as is often so), it's not
trivial to pkg_delete first...

Is there hope on the horizon, or should I fight on alone?

Or even worse, did I miss something significant, resulting in
irrelevant questions?

--
Christopher Vance