Date:      Sat, 31 Jul 1999 18:40:32 +0100
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
To:        John Baldwin <jobaldwi@vt.edu>
Cc:        Nik Clayton <nik@nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk>, freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG, Ken Marx <kmarx@bigshed.com>
Subject:   Re: groff & truetype fonts

On Fri, Jul 30, 1999 at 04:17:39PM -0400, John Baldwin wrote:
> On 30-Jul-99 Nik Clayton wrote:
> > On Tue, Jul 06, 1999 at 01:27:31PM -0700, Ken Marx wrote:
> >> I recently had to convert truetype fonts for use with groff.
> >> I thought this might be a useful addition to Dave Bodenstab's
> >> *excellent* primer (http://www.pt.freebsd.org/tutorials/fonts/fonts.html).
> >
> > <snip>
> >
> > Just so you know -- this is still in my list of things to deal with.  I
> > haven't ignored it.
> >
> > In the mean time, if anyone else feels up to the challenge of doing the
> > SGML conversion, please step forward.
> >
> > Cheers,
>
> Just point at me the stuff to convert.  The tutorials are in DocBook, correct?

Rather than re-post Ken's documentation, if you search the -doc mailing
list for a message from kmarx@bigshed.com with the subject

    groff & truetype fonts

you'll find his original, 280+ line message which included the new text.

Yes, the existing fonts tutorial is in doc/en/tutorials/fonts/fonts.docb,
marked up in DocBook.

This is a pain, because there are a number of things which need to happen
to that file to bring it in line with the evolving standards for the FDP.

For example, it should really be an <article> rather than a <book>, the
indentation is wrong, it doesn't use the &man.foo.n; entities, and so on.

However, trying to fix all these in one commit makes things difficult for
the translators.

The best bet is probably to merge in Ken's text without making any
formatting changes to the file, or introducing new entity references and
so on.  This at least gets the text in to the tree.  We can then sort out
the stylistic and structure issues later.

Thanks for volunteering to do this -- as ever, if you've got questions
about markup choices as you're doing the conversion, don't hesitate to get
in touch.

Cheers,

 [intentional self-reference] can be easily accommodated using a blessed,
 non-self-referential dummy head-node whose own object destructor severs
 the links.
    -- Tom Christiansen in <375143b5@cs.colorado.edu>