Date:      Sun, 1 Aug 1999 15:07:39 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Marc van Woerkom <van.woerkom@netcologne.de>
To:        the_hermit665@hotmail.com
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3D board for XFree86 GLX - Please recommend

> mid April.  My friend ordered the new Riva TNT-2 (pre-order) 2 months ago
> and they told him to expect his card in about another 30+ days (I'm guessing
> he will receive it early sept).

Waiting? In what communist country do you live? :)
TNT-2 and TNT-2 Ultra cards are for sale here.

>     Creative Labs Suck so just get a Diamond.  Even though the herules has
> the best "RIVA" card on the market, Diamond & ASUS are right behind by a
> couple #'s and you "Will Recieve" these cards on time :P
> so good luck...

So far I am very happy with Diamond. However I don't know if they will
continue to manufacture cards with nvidia chips - someone told me they
were aquired by S3.

Another  strong manufacturer is ELSA, they have a reputation for good quality.
(Anyone had a view through their 3d shutter glasses yet?)

And of course ASUS and Gigabyte. My personal experience was more positive
with Gigabyte mainboards so far, so I hope they will have nice graphics
boards too. Their GA660 is a TNT2 card, but I have not seen it offered
anywhere yet.

Plus I've seen some cheap brand I don't know how to value it.
They offer a 32 MB "TNT2 Model 64" (whatever that is) for less than a
brand name TNT board.

    http://www.powertech-electronics.de/mn_grafikkarten.html

Regards,
Marc