Date:      Wed, 4 Aug 1999 23:41:00 +0100
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
To:        "Alexandratos, Jerry (FUSA)" <JerryAlexandratos@FirstUSA.com>
Cc:        "'Nik Clayton'" <nik@freebsd.org>, "'freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: VAIO F270 Questions

On Wed, Aug 04, 1999 at 04:43:53PM -0400, Alexandratos, Jerry (FUSA) wrote:
> > First, my understanding is that the VAIOs have real modems.  I'm pretty
> sure
> > that this is still the case for the F270s.  Can someone tell me how to
> > detect and setup the internal modem?
>
> : I'm not sure what you mean. As far as I know the F270 doesn't have an
> : internal modem.  Mine came bundled with a "Platinum Card MC220 Modem Card"
> : which is a modem, and you can also buy various cables for it to use it as
> : an ISDN modem or as an ethernet card.
>
> All of the F-series (100 & 200) that I've seen come with the internal modem.

Is this a US/UK difference?  My 270 definitely doesn't have an internal
modem.  I asked about this in the shop I bought it from (I wanted to make
quite sure it *didn't* have an internal, because they're harder to replace
if FreeBSD didn't like it for some reason) and was categorically told that
the modem was a bundled card, and not built in.

I believe (BICBW) that the slimmer VAIOs have built in modems though.

> > Second, how hard is it to setup the sound on one of these beasts?
>
> : Impossible, to the best of my knowledge.  I could be wrong, but the
> : consensus on the list when I searched the archives was that it wasn't
> : possible.
>
> Damn!  I thought this was supposed to be SB compatible.  8(

It might be.  I haven't invested any time it yet (no spare time to do so).

> > Finally, I want to setup a hibernation partition on this machine.  Is the
> > partition id 160?
>
> : Yes.  I used FIPS to shrink the Windows partition, put a BSD partition
> : in the middle, and didn't touch the pre-existing hibernation partition.
> : Fn+F12 suspends to disk, and takes about 15 seconds to do so.
>
> Could you do me a favor and let me know what the partition ID is?

160.

> I know
> the size should be "system mem + 3M", but no idea what the ID itself is.

That's about right.  I haven't messed with the partition since I got the
machine, and the supplied, default size (for a 64MB machine) is 199MB.

 [intentional self-reference] can be easily accommodated using a blessed,
 non-self-referential dummy head-node whose own object destructor severs
 the links.
    -- Tom Christiansen in <375143b5@cs.colorado.edu>