Date:      Thu, 5 Aug 1999 10:10:49 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Archie Cobbs <archie@whistle.com>
Cc:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Panic plus advice needed

On Wednesday,  4 August 1999 at  9:12:43 -0700, Archie Cobbs wrote:

>>> What are the others..?
>>
>> The only one I can find now is naming the debugging kernel with a name
>> of different length.  This causes different string lengths in config.c
>> and vers.c.  I once thought I saw a problem related to linker sets, but
>> I was probably mistaken.
>
> So... IMHO, if we can fix this as well, it would be worth it for all
> the people who get core dumps but didn't build debug kernels.
> Do you disagree?

I disagree that this should even be necessary.  This kind of detail
was exactly the reason why I put the short-lived default debug kernel
into config.  There aren't too many systems any more that don't have
an additional 30 MB for the time it takes to build the kernel, and it
solves a whole lot of potential problems.

Greg