Date:      Fri, 6 Aug 1999 17:48:44 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Brian McGroarty <bvmcg@yahoo.com>
To:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
Cc:        freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Marketing FreeBSD / FreeBSD as a pr

I'll meet half-way on this.

If the advocacy team wants to work on turning the FreeBSD
4.0-RELEASE release into a major event, I'll contribute articles
on how it's helped me develop for the Nintendo 64, foot the bill
to enlist a couple artists' help in producing a nice cover and
help strategize a nice PR maneuver to coincide with release. I
*strongly* believe in FreeBSD, and I'll do what I can to help it
along.

But first TPTB need to accept that marketing and presentation
are every bit as important as anything else in realizing broad
distribution. Even breaking in media takes something that looks
exciting. A cool logo, nice box cover or attractive screen shot
is enough to affect the creation of an article just because a
publisher wants to print a picture that's going to sell that
issue to someone browsing the magazine.

I can't be helpful if someone as visible as Jordan is going to
call this a proxy issue or accuse me of selecting this because
it's a fluff task. I'm not going out of my way to move my
production work to FreeBSD, working through tapes of McKusick's
kernel internals courses or spending my evenings digging through
OS theory texts because I'm in the mood for "fluff."

I believe in what's happening here, and I believe that the more
wide-spread FreeBSD becomes, the more Lamberts, Dillons,
Williams, McKusicks and other such personable people the project
will attract. We all benefit and learn when people of that
calibre join the project, regardless of by what means they
initially discovered it.