Date:      Wed, 11 Aug 1999 14:44:30 EDT
From:      Alex <xela@MIT.EDU>
To:        Doug <Doug@gorean.org>
Cc:        xela@MIT.EDU, FreeBSD-bugs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: conf/13078: 3.2-release /etc/manpath.config misconfigured

> This is fixed in 3.2-Stable. Not that we want to discourage someone from
> sending problem reports, but it's usually a good idea to upgrade to the
> latest version first. Also, when it's clearly one file or just a few files
> that are affected you can check the CVS repository to see if it's fixed.

In which case the stock motd should say something about -stable.
Instead, it merely points one at http://www.FreeBSD.ORG/releases ---
where I looked (in the apparently naiive expectation that the
errata page would actually contain the known errata) before
sending the problem report.

I am new to FreeBSD, and I doubt it would be any more obvious to
the average new user than it is to me that "stable" is more
current (and if I unsderstand you correctly, more stable) than
"release".  And the directory entry for FreeBSD-stable at
ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ hardly gives that impression --- in
fact, quite the contrary (piped through <cut -c36-> for line length):

May 17 10:21 3.2-RELEASE -> releases/i386/3.2-RELEASE
Jan 21  1999 FreeBSD-stable -> branches/3.0-stable

I am, by the way, extremely impressed with the quick responses to
my problem report --- I've had them dissapear into the void for
months elsewhere.

---Alex

Carl Alexander
------------- MIT (where Alex hangs out):
xela@mit.edu      Course VI (sometime special student)    SIPB (prospective)
                  Mitgaard ("honorary mold")    MITSFS    LSC (night worker)
                  http://www.mit.edu/~xela