Date:      Thu, 12 Aug 1999 10:36:22 -0400
From:      Christopher Masto <chris@netmonger.net>
To:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Which laptop? Any comment on the vaios?

On Thu, Aug 12, 1999 at 10:23:08AM +0200, Terje Elde wrote:
> I want a small powerfull one. Portablilty is very important, but so is the
> keyboard, as I'll be doing a lot of typing.
>
> Anyone have anythign to recommend?
>
> Also, sony vaio users on the list who can comment on their experiences?
> I'm thinking about getting a 505 or something like that.

Here's another beyond-satisfied 505 user.  I bought the TX.  Now the
TR is out, which is identical except that it comes with the 7-hour
battery and costs $200 less.

As has been said, everything works.  And I'm not running PAO.. it all
works under -current.  (Except for the firewire, but I don't
particularly care)  I can even hotsync my pilot with the IR port.

Installation was done by booting the floppy with the supplied external
floppy drive, and installing over a network with a (non-supplied) 3c589.
I now have a Linksys, which is considerably less expensive and works
just fine.

One note.. there are new "Z505" models out which have a bigger screen,
lower battery life, builtin ethernet, etc.  Apparently they have gone
to using winmodems in them.  The regular 505 line has a NON-winmodem,
which works just fine with FreeBSD.
--
Christopher Masto         Senior Network Monkey      NetMonger Communications
chris@netmonger.net        info@netmonger.net        http://www.netmonger.net

Free yourself, free your machine, free the daemon -- http://www.freebsd.org/