Date:      Thu, 12 Aug 1999 10:43:18 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        Steve Kargl <sgk@troutmask.apl.washington.edu>
Cc:        green@FreeBSD.ORG (Brian F. Feldman), hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: libcompat proposition

In message <199908121632.JAA26032@troutmask.apl.washington.edu> Steve Kargl writes:
: If you're writing unencumbered code, placing it under
: libcompat/gnu may lead to confusion because all other
: directory paths containing gnu contain GPL'd code.
: Just stick it into libcompat.

Or libiberty :-)  That way we can have a GPL-free libiberty, which
would be something that many people would want.  It would also force
the FSF to move more of their code from GPL to LGPL since it is
stallman's policy to release things under the LGPL when there are
alternative interfaces available.  Although the recent hacks by
tchrist@perl.com to generically wrap any library in rcp calls so that
the progrma using the library doesn't have any GPL tainted code
compiled into its address space might change that....

I hate the GPL.  It has too many different interpretations.  Look at
the currentsituation with Linux: Linus says loadable drivers in Linux
aren't covered by the GPL, while Stallman insists that they are.  Its
interpretation is open to too many variables :-(.

Warner