Date:      Tue, 17 Aug 1999 19:30:56 +0200
From:      Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>
To:        "Matthew N. Dodd" <winter@jurai.net>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Kerberos 5 integration.

> What do you think about moving all the current '#ifdef KERBEROS' to
> '#ifdef KERBEROS4' and starting to integrate the '#ifdef KERBEROS5' bits
> in ftp, telnet, rsh, rlogin etc?  I don't see a reason to rip out the krb4
> stuff and delay on the krb5 userland integration.  Since the userland
> stuff doesn't involve actual crypto code I think we're pretty safe no?

I have a better idea; PAM-ify everything (that can be pammed). The rest
of the stuff, I intend to do as you say.

> I'd also be interested in hearing reasons for or against putting the krb4
> specific stuff (kinit, klist whatever) in /usr/krb4, and the krb5 bits in
> /usr/krb5.  This would simplify the task of leaving krb4 in the tree.

Hmm. Methinks I might name the version-specific stuff k[45]${FOO}
for FOO in init, list, destroy, etc. Telnetd and FTPD should be
PAMmable, likewise the r.*d's. The userland ftp and telnets can
have both (Isuspect), and the r-utils also.

Mark Murray