Date:      Thu, 19 Aug 1999 16:43:52 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Rich Winkel <rich@chumbly.math.missouri.edu>
To:        aphor@ripco.com
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: distributing STABLE using Installworld over NFS

According to Jeremy McMillan:
> There *must* be make installworld dependancies outside of the /usr/src and
> /usr/obj filesystems. Pulling an installworld (or install for that matter)
> from a remote machine's /usr/src/ and /usr/obj is broken. Pushing an
> installworld to the target machine by mounting it's filesystem is working.
> That tells me there's something necessary but unavailable when you try to
> make installworld from the older box.

There's one "outside" dependency I know of.  Some of the builds (such
as perl) create symbolic links in the obj dir which have absolute
rather than relative paths into the src directory.  If, on the build
server, /usr/src & /usr/obj are symbolic links to directories elsewhere
(which in my case is true because I wanted to do the build on a
softupdate'd disk and I'm not using softupdates on /usr) you'll run
into problems installing from an nfs client if the "elsewhere" doesn't
exist on the client.
In my case I had to create a symbolic link
/u2 -> usr
on the client, then everything went smoothly.

Rich