Date:      Sat, 21 Aug 1999 10:02:25 -0700
From:      Gregory Sutter <gsutter@pobox.com>
To:        up@3.am
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Hardware Compatibility

On Sat, Aug 21, 1999 at 12:36:23PM -0400, up@3.am wrote:
> On Sat, 21 Aug 1999, Gregory Sutter wrote:
> > On Sat, Aug 21, 1999 at 11:24:30AM +0000, gimp@netnet.com.sg wrote:
> > >
> > > I will be setting up a server running on FreeBSD 3.2 soon. The server
> > > will have the following hardware:
> > >
> > > 1. Intel 440GX Mainboard with:
> > >         Intel 82558 Fast Ethernet 10/100
> > > 2. Mylex BT958 SCSI host controller
> > > 3. DAC960SX SCSI-to-SCSI disk array controller 5 channels 16MB RAM
> >
> > I have experience with the L440GX motherboards. They are very fast
> > and have solid integrated components (Intel 82559 ethernet, Adaptec
> > 7896 SCSI). I don't use the SCSI so I've never actually tested it with
> > FreeBSD, although it works great with L***x. I don't know why you're
> > adding a Mylex, unless you've determined for sure that the onboard SCSI
> > doesn't work.
>
> I use this board, including the AIC-7896 on-board SCSI with FreeBSD and it
> works fine.

Great!  Now the only need is for Microid Research to get off their
butts and make an MR BIOS for this board.  :)

> Hmmm...the only hardware RAID drivers for FreeBSD I've seen any mention of
> are for DPT.

With SCSI<-->SCSI RAID controllers, you don't need drivers.  The RAID
controller just sits on the SCSI bus and does its work.  Typically it
appears to the OS as just one big disk, although that is of course
configurable based on the number of volumes that are configured in
the RAID.  I've had good luck with the Infortrend SCSI-SCSI RAID
controllers, which are less expensive than most.

Greg
--
Gregory S. Sutter              If ignorance is bliss, you must be orgasmic.
mailto:gsutter@pobox.com