Date:      Mon, 23 Aug 1999 05:40:53 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mike Pritchard <mpp@FreeBSD.org>
To:        cillian@baker.ie (Cillian Sharkey)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: proposed change for /etc/periodic/* scripts

> Currently, the reports that are generated and emailed to root are
> fine in what they do. however, a lot of the time there is actaully
> nothing of interest in these reports if nothing has gone wrong
> on the system etc. Basically I only want to know about the changes
> that have happened. This would be useful in cutting down the size
> of these emails esp. when you are receiving them from multiple
> fbsd servers.. :P

Make sure they always generate some output so that a message
does get mailed.  On more than once occasion I noticed that one
of my boxes keeled over or the network broke when I didn't
get my expected daily output from that machine.

> example:
>
> * if there are no passwd/group diffs found, don't print anything
>   out (not even the header). Same for setuid etc.  diffs.
>
> * For the 'df' status, only report filesystems that are over
>   a certain capacity (95% or only xxMb left etc..)

You might want to make the df part an rc.conf (or maybe a new periodic.conf)
knob.  I have couple of machines that basically do nothing all week long
and the disk space should always be pretty much constant.  If I notice that
the disk space usage changed a lot, then I should go check that machine out,
because something went haywire.

> and the same for all the other tests..basically if there's nothing
> to report don't print anything (not even the header) otherwise
> print the header and the results..

I've had a bad experience with this in the past.  One of our
adminstrators didn't like wading through all of the periodic
output and changed the scripts to do what you want.  Sometime
down the line I figured out that he had broken something in
the script early on and 90% of it never got executed, and since
no output meant everything was fine....you get the point.

Again, maybe an rc.conf knob that tells the periodic scripts
to be "quiet".  I've got a couple of machines here that I would
might use that on, but not on my main servers.

-Mike
--
Mike Pritchard
mpp@FreeBSD.ORG or mpp@mpp.pro-ns.net