Date:      Mon, 23 Aug 1999 23:11:30 -0400
From:      Christopher Masto <chris@netmonger.net>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.mat.net>
Cc:        Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>, "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>, Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>, Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>, FreeBSD Hackers <hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>, FreeBSD Committers <cvs-committers@FreeBSD.ORG>, Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>
Subject:   Re: Mandatory locking?

On Mon, Aug 23, 1999 at 10:59:10PM -0400, Chuck Robey wrote:
> > Dunno about that.. if you're using advisory locking, you know to say
> > "lock the file, then read the data, do your calculation, write it out,
> > and unlock".  This manditory locking sounds like an invitation for
> > disaster.  "I don't need to pay attention to the details because
> > the kernel will take care of it for me."
> >
> > Actually, I don't really understand the paradigm.  Two processes need
> > to safely update a file, so one of them aquires a mandatory lock, and
> > the other.. uh.. just blocks trying to open the file?  How does it
> > know it's not the first one?
>
> It means that if user A puts data in (and follows locking procedure
> correctly) then he doesn't have to worry that user B might not be
> following correct locking procedure, because user B is mandatorily
> forced to follow the procedure.  There isn't any added sloppiness, just
> a guarantee that if one user locks a file, no other rogues can get into
> it while the lock exists.

Bleah.. I can't count the number of times I've seen idiotic code like:

open file
read data
close file
open file for write
write data
close file

Mandatory locking of the type above doesn't force such a thing to work.

Now that I've read the rest of the thread, I see that the meaning may
be that certain files are marked such that they can't be opened
without locking.  That seems extremely dangerous, given all the time
that such a thing hasn't been around.. who knows how many scripts and
programs will now be vulnerable to hanging forever.. can I lock my
maildrop?  My web pages?  My print spool?
--
Christopher Masto         Senior Network Monkey      NetMonger Communications
chris@netmonger.net        info@netmonger.net        http://www.netmonger.net

Free yourself, free your machine, free the daemon -- http://www.freebsd.org/