Date:      Sat, 04 Sep 1999 00:06:06 +0900
From:      Maruyama Fuyuhiko <fuyuhik8@is.titech.ac.jp>
To:        java-port@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        freebsd-java@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Some bugs exist in JDK for FreeBSD.

Hi, all!

I'm a developer of Java JIT compiler.  And I found some bugs in
JDK-1.1.8 for FreeBSD.

*First

When you try division of two special int values, x86 cpu causes
SIGFPE.  You can easily see it.  Try this "Test.java" compile with
FreeBSD's javac.

public class Test {
	System.out.println("0x80000000 / -1 = " + (0x80000000/-1));
    }
}

I think only this combination (i.e. 0x80000000/-1) causes unexcepted
SIGFPE, so JavaVM may easily handle it.  Our JIT compiler can handle
it in support functions for JIT compiled methods, but I think JavaVM
should handle it by itself!

This bug may exist all version of JDK for FreeBSD (may be in Linux
version), but I have checked only these versions.

jdk1.1.8_AOUT.V99-7-19.tar.gz
jdk1.1.8_ELF.V99-7-19.tar.gz

*Second

Radio buttons of first window of SPECjvm98 don't appear!

We always use SPECjvm98 to measure the performance of our JIT.
SPECjvm98 uses AWT, and it causes visual problem only in *ELF version*
of jdk1.1.8 for FreeBSD, I beleave AOUT version works correctly.  So,
I cannot measure our JIT with ELF version in SPEC-confirmed style.
Sorry, I have not figured out the precise condition, and I don't have
enough time to do it.

Are there someone can check the SPECjvm98 and figure out the bug?

Thanks in advance.

--
Fuyuhiko Maruyama <fuyuhik8@is.titech.ac.jp>
Matsuoka laboratory,