Date:      Sun, 5 Sep 1999 21:57:27 -0400
From:      Tim Vanderhoek <vanderh@ecf.utoronto.ca>
To:        Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
Cc:        David Stein <dstein@mediaone.net>, freebsd-doc@freebsd.org, grog@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Suggestion - List IRC resources

On Sat, Sep 04, 1999 at 11:47:44PM +0100, Nik Clayton wrote:

> If you've got some appropriate text that you'd like to see added (along,
> maybe, with links to useful places for someone who's likely to be new to

Do not add any text on IRC.  Not without permission of jkh, at
least.  :)  This is something that was decided some time ago because
too often (even with it unlisted), newbies get abused on IRC, or
don't know what to expect.  I believe jkh wrote a rather long
convincing rant on this.

The original reasons for not listing IRC are just as (or more) valid
now as they were then.  The existing FAQ entry (which billf already
pointed out) is more than enough.

Message-Id references (in threaded form, woo-hoo!! :):

XFMail.981029005747.lh@aus.org  (luk@aus.org, initial message)
  -> 3505.909648439@time.cdrom.com  (statement by Jordan)

xzp4spn6grj.fsf@flood.ping.uio.no  (listed by implicit request of des)

Pine.BSF.4.05.9901190941490.352-100000@fireball.2000.com.au (initial message)
  -> 38548.916712153@zippy.cdrom.com (jkh gets started)
  -> Pine.BSF.4.05.9901191310350.7090-100000@fireball.2000.com.au
  -> 38685.916714148@zippy.cdrom.com (classic Jordan)
  -> Pine.BSF.4.05.9901182253210.28569-100000@shattered.disturbed.net
  -> 19990119165019.33506@welearn.com.au (Sue had so much potential as
         a flame artist, this is off-topic of IRC by now, though...)

There have been other newbies who came running confused and dazed to
the mailing-lists after getting knocked around a little in IRC.  This
one just had an ability to start threads that don't get forgotten
quickly.  :)

url refs:

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/doc/FAQ/Attic/preface.sgml
    (jkh's change to the IRC docs)

--
This is my .signature which gets appended to the end of my messages.